The catholic Trinity Church, located in Pacellistraße, between Promendaeplatz and Lenbachplatz, is a votive church (votive of lat. votum = vow) that Munich`s aristocracy, ministry and commoners commissioned to build in the beginning of the 18th century (1711 to 1718).
One redeemed thereby a vow, which was given after a prediction of the nun Maria Anna Lindmayr. Lindmayr, a servant´s daughter, had prophesied that Munich would remain exempted from devastation by the Austrian troops in the Spanish succession war, if the community would build a church in honours of the holy Trinity. Thereupon, on 17 July 1704, representatives of Munich´s clergy, aristocracy and commoners promised to build such a church.
Although through the war and the following occupation Munich suffered forced recruitment and high tax burden, the city – contrary to the rest of Bavaria – was neither besieged nor afflicted by the plague. Interesting enough, during the Second World War, Trinity church was the only church in Munich´s city center which remained unharmed by bombs.